Ahi Tuna Steaks
5 oz ea, boneless yellowfin
Our superbly tasty, sushi-grade, boneless yellowfin tuna is sustainably hand-line harvested by Indonesian fisherman who range the legendary Ring of Fire.
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- Wild caught
- Line-caught by hand
- Boneless 5-oz. steaks
- Individually vacuum-packed
- Rated “Green / Best Choice” by Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch
- Product of Indonesia
Tuna lovers prize yellowfin for its wonderful flavor and firm texture, and our sustainably harvested yellowfin is of the very highest quality.
The fish are line-caught by hand, cut into steaks ranging from 5 to 6 oz., vacuum-packed, and flash-frozen to preserve the tuna's fresh-caught quality.
We obtain our yellowfin from the artisanal Indonesian fishery in the Western Central Pacific Ocean, which enjoys a Green/Best-Choice ranking from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch program.
Serving yellowfin tuna
Cook yellowfin tuna as you would any firm fish: pan-fry/sauté, stir-fry, grill, broil, or roast.
You can also thaw and serve our yellowfin tuna as sashimi or sushi; the freezing process renders it perfectly safe to serve raw.
You’ll find storage and thawing instructions under our Serving/Care tab, and suggested recipes under our Recipes tab. (Recipes for albacore tuna will work very well with yellowfin tuna.)
About yellowfin tuna
The delicious flesh of these torpedo-shaped, highly migratory fish is highly prized for sashimi and sushi
They’re striking in appearance, with dark, metallic-blue backs, yellow sides, very long fins, silver bellies, and bright yellow “finlets”.
Found throughout the Pacific, Atlantic, and Indian Oceans, yellowfin tuna form schools with other tuna species, like skipjack and bigeye.
A dolphin-safe fishery
Our yellowfin tuna comes from a sustainable Indonesian hand-line fishery that protects dolphins as it delivers top-quality tuna.
Unlike their Indonesia-area counterparts, yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares) in the eastern tropical Pacific often mingle with dolphins.
In the past, many dolphins drowned in tuna nets off Mexico and southern California. Thanks to stricter U.S. regulations, many fewer dolphins (about 1,000 annually) now die in that region.
Why is our yellowfin tuna red rather than brown?
Yellowfin sold in the U.S. is often exposed to synthetic carbon monoxide (CO) gas.
Exposure to CO gas preserves tuna’s natural reddish-pink color, but will also make old fish appear fresher than it is, because tuna treated with CO stays red even after it spoils.
Instead of synthetic CO gas, our tuna is exposed to filtered, flavorless smoke from certified-pure hardwoods. This preserves the tuna’s natural reddish-pink color, but it cannot mask old fish, because smoke-treated tuna will turn brown long before it begins to spoil.
Average Ratings: 5Write a Review
Read more reviews >
Wild Yellowfin Tuna (Thunnus Albacares), filtered wood smoke (for color retention).
Calcium 0% • Iron 5%
Total Omega 3: 140mg
Click here to view tuna recipes. Any recipe for albacore tuna will work for yellowfin tuna.
Click here to view tuna-recipe chef videos:
- Tuna Burger with Teriyaki Ketchup
- Seared Tuna with Blueberry Teriyaki
- Wild Albacore Tuna Salad
- Wild Pacific Albacore Tuna Tataki
- Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C).
- Vacuum-sealed yellowfin tuna kept at or below 0° F should retain its quality for 12 to 24 months.
- Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
- Thaw under refrigeration at or below 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius). Before thawing, puncture or remove packaging.
- For quick-thawing, place frozen package in cool water for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, just until contents are flexible.
- Once thawed, immediately cook or refrigerate (if refrigerating, puncture package). Prior to cooking, do not allow fish to reach temperatures above 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius).
- Rinse fish quickly in cold, clean water.
- Cook in a medium-hot lightly oiled pan, under a broiler, or on the grill for 7-8 minutes — or bake 12-15 minutes at 375° F (or for 8 to 10 minutes at 450°F) — until only a small spot in the very center still appears translucent.
- Remove fish from heat and let it “self-cook” another two to three minutes, until just cooked through to center before serving.
NOTE: It is perfectly safe and healthful to serve our fish raw or partly cooked, because flash-freezing has rendered it 100% sushi-safe.
Enliven your fish with healthful, flavorful seasonings such as Vital Choice Organic Salmon Marinade Mix or other herb-spice blends:
- Lightly coat or mist your fish with Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Macadamia Nut Oil, and rub on the seasonings of your choice.
- Or, add the seasonings of your choice to a little of Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Macadamia Nut Oil and marinate the fish in it the mix, refrigerated, for 30-60 minutes or overnight.
Frozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
Overnight shipping and other premium services cost extra; for more information, see our Shipping page. (Live shellfish ship overnight at no extra cost.)
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
When will my frozen foods arrive?
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
*Except when a holiday falls on the designated shipping day.
For more information, see our Shipping page.