Live Pacific Oysters
5 dozen bag | Product #DOY301
Ships Overnight FREE on cold gel packs.
Enjoy fresh, premium oysters ... no matter where you live!
We source Pacific oysters from a variety of Northwest regions to ensure top quality.
Due to demand, this product is temporarily out of stock. Sign up for our waitlist and be the first to know when it’s back!
Out of Stock
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
on orders over $99
Ships Overnight FREE on cold gel packs.
- About 60 oysters per 5-lb. bag
- Each oyster approximately 3.5–4"
- Product of USA or Canada
We select the best Pacific oysters (Magallana gigas) from a variety of Northwest regions, primarily in British Columbia and Washington State.
Each growing region yields oysters of distinctive size, shape, and flavor profiles produced by local conditions or "terroir”, and growing method (beach, tray, or inter-tidal long lines).
The Washington State locales include Hood Canal (a natural fjord on Puget Sound), Samish Bay (near our home base in Bellingham, WA), and Discovery Bay (Olympic Peninsula).
Average Ratings: 5
Vitamin C 11%
Contains 670mg of omega-3 fatty acids per serving.
Properly cared for, live shellfish can be held up to 5 days.
However, as with any fresh food, the sooner you enjoy our oysters, the better.
Note: Consuming raw shellfish presents a risk to persons with compromised immunity.
- The oysters are alive, and you need to keep them alive until they are cooked or served.
- As soon as possible, place on (not under) ice and store in the refrigerator at 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- We recommend that you place the net bag of oysters in a colander or other self-draining container, and place that self-draining container inside a larger, closed container to catch any liquid.
- Cover the oysters with a damp cloth or towel to keep them from drying out. Again, do not cover or bury the oysters in ice.
- If prolonged storage is necessary, replenish the ice, remove any water from melted ice, and re-moisten the towel frequently.
- If you put the oysters in a plastic bag, make sure that the top is open or that there are holes in the bag to allow the shellfish to breath.
Testing for freshness
- Using your nose is the best way to check for freshness of shellfish. If it smells fresh, like the sea, it is likely still in very good condition. Discard any off-smelling shellfish.
- Sometimes the shells of oysters will gape open just a bit in order to get more air. If you see this and are wondering if they are still alive, simply squeeze them shut; discard any that spring right back open again.
Oysters can be served raw or cooked.
- Typically, raw oysters are served in their shell, on ice, with lemon and various sauces on the side, with tiny forks to spear, dip, and enjoy them.
- Good sauce choices include grated horseradish, mignonette sauce (pepper, vinegar, and shallots), and spicy cocktail sauce.
- Shucked and non-shucked oysters (on the half shell) can be broiled, baked, boiled, steamed, smoked, or grilled. They only take a few minutes to cook ... be careful not to overcook.
- Oysters are salty by nature, so most recipes need no added salt.
- Cook oysters gently to avoid turning them rubbery. They're done when then the edges begin to curl.
- Herbs that pair well with oysters include thyme, fennel seed, paprika, and parsley.
- Free shipping on orders of $99 or more applies to our standard deliveries to the United States.
- Shipping is calculated separately for each delivery address.
- Non-Perishable Foods (canned and dry) are shipped via Ground and normally arrive within 3 to 7 business days, depending upon destination.
- Frozen Foods ship via 1- to 3-Day Express Ground Service, or 2nd Day Air Service Monday - Wednesday, depending on destination.
- Live shellfish only ship Monday through Wednesday. Orders must be placed before 5 p.m. PST the previous day.
- Sunday orders arrive Tuesday
- Monday orders arrive Wednesday
- Tuesday orders arrive Thursday
- Wednesday orders arrive Friday
- To arrange for specific delivery time frames, please call 800-608-4825 to place your order.