Live Pacific Blue Mussels
5 lb bag | Product #DMU101
Our Pacific Blue mussels — rope-grown in wild, sparkling clean ocean waters — have repeatedly won top honors in international contests.
Due to demand, this product is temporarily out of stock. Sign up for our waitlist and be the first to know when it’s back!
Out of Stock
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
on orders over $99
- 2¼ to 3 inches long
- About 120–140 mussels per 5 lb bag
These award-winners are rope-grown in wild, sparkling clean waters off Washington State's Whidbey Island
Their fast growth rate – in a cove blessed by nutrient-rich waters – yields a firm texture and sweeter flavor than most any other mussels.
Because they grow so fast, they feature thin shells and plump, bountiful meats, and provide more pure pleasure per pound.
Easy and safe to enjoy
Because they are grown on ropes rather than in a beach, our Whidbey Island Pacific Blue mussels (Mytilus trossulus) are generally free of sand or grit.
Before the mussels are harvested, each batch is tested and certified-safe by the State of Washington.
Average Ratings: 4
Read more reviews >
Calcium 3% Iron 32%
Total omega-3 fatty acids 740mg
Storage and handling
Properly cared for, live shellfish can be held up to 5 days.
However, as with any fresh food, the sooner you enjoy our mussels, the better.
Note: Consuming raw shellfish presents a risk to persons with compromised immunity.
- The mussels are alive, and you need to keep them alive until they are cooked or served.
- As soon as possible, place on (not under) ice and store in the refrigerator at 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- We recommend that you place the net bag of mussels in a colander or other self-draining container, and place that self-draining container inside a larger, closed container to catch any liquid.
- Cover the mussels with a damp cloth or towel to keep them from drying out. Again, do not cover or bury the mussels in ice.
- If prolonged storage is necessary, replenish the ice, remove any water from melted ice, and re-moisten the towel frequently.
- If you put the mussels in a plastic bag, make sure that the top is open or that there are holes in the bag to allow the shellfish to breath.
Testing for freshness
- Using your nose is the best way to check for freshness, If mussels smell fresh, like the sea, they are likely still in very good condition. Discard any off-smelling mussels.
- Sometimes the shells of mussels will gape open just a bit in order to get more air. If you see this and are wondering if they are still alive, simply squeeze them shut; discard any mussels that spring right back open again.
- Free shipping on orders of $99 or more applies to our standard deliveries to the United States.
- Shipping is calculated separately for each delivery address.
- Non-Perishable Foods (canned and dry) are shipped via Ground and normally arrive within 3 to 7 business days, depending upon destination.
- Frozen Foods ship via 1- to 3-Day Express Ground Service, or 2nd Day Air Service Monday - Wednesday, depending on destination.
- Live shellfish only ship Monday through Wednesday. Orders must be placed before 5 p.m. PST the previous day.
- Sunday orders arrive Tuesday
- Monday orders arrive Wednesday
- Tuesday orders arrive Thursday
- Wednesday orders arrive Friday
- To arrange for specific delivery time frames, please call 800-608-4825 to place your order.