1 teaspoon butter
1 tablespoon shallots, minced
1 tablespoon wheat, rice or arrowroot flour
1/2 cup 2% milk or coconut milk
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Organic black pepper to taste
4 threads saffron
Curry blend (1 teaspoon organic turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon organic cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon organic dried ginger, 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/8 teaspoon organic cinnamon)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon honey (or raw/brown sugar)
1. Place the olive oil and butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add the minced shallots and cook for about 5 minutes. Don't allow the shallots to brown.
2. When the shallots are translucent add the flour and stir gently with a whisk until the flour is well blended. Add the wine, milk, salt, pepper, curry spice blend (turmeric, cayenne, ginger, cumin, cinnamon), saffron, lemon zest and honey.
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer sauce gently for 10 to 15 minutes. Whisk sauce frequently and remove from heat after it begins to thicken.
4. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, spray or brush lightly with olive oil and add the scallops. Do not overcrowd the pan. Cook on the first side for about 3 minutes. Turn the scallops to cook on the other side for 3 to 5 minutes.
5. When turning the scallops place the sauce back on the burner over medium-low heat. Heat gently while the scallops finish cooking.
6. Divide the sauce between two plates, top with the cooked scallops and serve.