A tasty chili with a Latin accent
This hearty, lively dish offers a carnival of flavors and colors, thanks to its jalapeño, garlic, black beans, and colorful peppers. Our organic, grass-fed ground beef makes this tasty chili extra special.
The recipe calls for fresh cilantro, which gives it a Mexican/Brazilian twist, but if you don't care for that herb you can substitute dried oregano.
Likewise, the recipe calls for 12 ounces of beer, but you could substitute beef or chicken stock.
Beef Chili Carnavale
Prep and cooking time: 2 hours
- 30 to 32 oz of ground organic, grass-fed beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 ounces) regular or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) regular or light beer or stock (beef or chicken)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium green, red, yellow or orange bell peppers, diced
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro or dried oregano leaves
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed, drained
- Lime wedges and baked tortillas chips (optional)
Toppings: Sliced cherry tomatoes, sliced green onions, sliced serranos or jalapeños, chopped onion
- Heat stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for thoroughly thawed ground beef, which should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. (Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.)
- Add tomatoes, beef broth, beer, onions, bell peppers, tomato paste, chili powder, jalapeño pepper, garlic, cumin, and cilantro (or oregano) to stockpot, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in black beans and continue to simmer 15 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Garnish with toppings, as desired. Serve with lime wedges and baked tortilla chips, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving:
318 Calories; 7 Calories from fat; 7g Total Fat (3 g Saturated Fat; 3 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 76 mg Cholesterol; 955 mg Sodium; 28 g Total Carbohydrate; 7.5 g Dietary Fiber; 32 g Protein; 6.4 mg Iron; 7.8 mg Niacin; 0.5 mg Vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg Vitamin B12; 6.2 mg Zinc; 19.8 mcg Selenium; 96 mg Choline.