Wild Artisan Blue Shrimp
12 oz., peeled & deveined
Discover superbly pure, fresh-tasting, sustainably harvested, Fair Trade Certified™ wild shrimp!
Our Wild Artisan Blue Shrimp are caught in nets hand-cast by co-op fisherfolk in small boats that drift through the Gulf of California’s coastal lagoons.
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- Fair Trade USA™ certified
- Sustainably harvested
- Recipe-ready: Peeled, deveined, no tails*
- Raw, individually frozen, vacuum-packed
- 16-20 per lb (12-15 per 12 oz)**
- Small carbon footprint
- Product of México
*May contain small fragments of shrimp shell.
**The size of our shrimp varies, but averages 16-20 per lb, which is typically considered jumbo.
Discover superbly pure, fresh-tasting, sustainably harvested shrimp!
Our Artisan Blue Shrimp are hand-harvested from small, single-person boats in Mexico’s Gulf of California.
Instead of big trawlers, the fishery features small boats called pangas that meander through coastal lagoons in the Gulf of California.
The fishermen — who belong to local co-ops — employ an artisanal, highly selective harvest technique called suripera, which relies on tides and wind to drift the boats and their hand-cast shrimp nets.
This technique has the lowest bycatch and fuel consumption per pound of seafood in the world — and this is the only shrimp fishery in the world certified as fair trade (see “Fair Trade certified”, below).
Because of the panga boats’ limited range and storage, they off-load shrimp within hours of harvest, to be rushed to a state-of-the-art processing and freezing facility.
The shrimp are cleaned, frozen, and shipped to us within a few hours of capture, providing you with what may be the finest, most sustainably produced shrimp in the world!
And, by selecting these spectacular shrimp, you’re supporting sustainable seafood — as well as conscientious fishing families and communities!
Fair Trade certified
The fishery supplying our Mexican Blue Shrimp received Fair Trade USA™ certification in 2016 — the first shrimp fishery in the world awarded that high honor.
The Sinaloa-based fishery — based in the red regions on the map at left — was found to meet the rigorous requirements of Fair Trade USA’s “capture fisheries” standard.
To earn certification, the producers had to meet criteria designed to promote worker empowerment, local economic development, social responsibility and environmental stewardship.
Upon meeting those high standards, it became the world's first fair-trade-certified shrimp fishery.
By selecting Fair Trade shrimp, you help fishermen earn enough to invest in projects that support the local ecosystem, and the communities that provide our amazing shrimp.
Blue shrimp (Litopenaeus stylirostris)
Calcium 50mg • 4%
Iron .2mg • 2%
Potassium 70mg • 2%
*Contains crustacean shellfish (Shrimp)
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Held under these conditions your Mexican Blue Shrimp should retain their quality for at least six to 12 months.
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
- Thaw under refrigeration at or below 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius). Before thawing, puncture or remove packaging.
- For quick-thawing, place frozen package in cool water for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, just until contents are flexible. Once thawed, immediately cook or refrigerate (if refrigerating, puncture package).
- Prior to cooking, do not allow shrimp to reach temperatures above 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius).
- Keep shrimp frozen until about an hour prior to cooking.
- Soak the frozen sealed container in a sink or basin of cool water for about 30 minutes.
- Pour the contents into a strainer and rinse with fresh, cold water to melt away any remaining ice.
- Shrimp can be grilled, baked, sautéed, boiled, steamed, or skewered and grilled
- Shrimp take only 1 to 2 minutes to be done. Remove from heat as soon as they turn pink: overcooking will toughen them.
- Shrimp go well in all kinds of pasta dishes – including scampi and pesto – and can be served cold with cocktail sauce (ketchup plus a touch of horseradish) or the dip of your choice. We like dipping them in a blend of melted butter and olive oil, seasoned with our Organic Salmon Marinade mix.
Frozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
Overnight shipping and other premium services cost extra; for more information, see our Shipping page. (Live shellfish ship overnight at no extra cost.)
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
When will my frozen foods arrive?
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
*Except when a holiday falls on the designated shipping day.
For more information, see our Shipping page.