Spicy Scallops with Beans and Greens
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 50 minutes | Total Time: 9 hours
- 1 pound Vital Choice wild Alaskan weathervane scallops (about 6 large ones)
- 1 small head of frisée (or one bunch of arugula)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Vital Choice extra virgin olive oil
- 2 big handfuls of dried beans (cranberry or great northern)
- 1 red chili
- Salt and pepper
- Small bunch of thyme and parsley
- 1 tomato
- 1 small starchy potato
- Start the day before – soak the beans in a lot of cold water overnight.
- About 1 hour before needing to serve, drain the beans. Put them in a large pot of water, along with the thyme, parsley, potato and tomato. Bring to the boil. Simmer for about 40 minutes – or until the beans are just tender. Note: cooking time depends on the beans you are using – great northern is about 40 minutes.
- Prepare the scallops: Pat them dry with paper towel and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Scorch the chili in a pan over a gas (or electric) burner, until the skin is blistering.
- Wash and coarsely chop the frisée. Finely slice the chili, removing the seeds if you wish.
- Make a quick dressing for the beans: Place almost all of the lemon juice in a small bowl; add 3 times its volume of olive oil. Whisk to combine.
- When the beans are done, drain them and discard the potato, tomato and herbs.
- Heat a heavy bottomed sauté pan until hot. Add olive oil; when nearly smoking, add in a few scallops. Sear for no more than one minute, then flip. Cook for another minute. Remove scallops from the pan and keep warm.
- Repeat with the remaining scallops. Remove the scallops from the pan and add in the remaining lemon juice and sliced chili. Shake together for 30 seconds.
- Toss the frisée with the beans. Season with a little salt and pepper. Pour over some of the dressing and toss. Taste the beans and frisée. Add more dressing as required.
- Divide the greens and beans between two plates. Pour over the pan juices and chili. Top with the scallops and enjoy immediately.