Salmon Chinoise with Spicy Cucumber Salad
Prep Time: 1 hours | Cook Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 1 hours
- 4 Vital Choice wild salmon fillets (6 ounces each)
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- Juice and zest of 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon organic ginger powder or 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon wasabi powder
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup macadamia nut oil (or hi-oleic sunflower oil or organic, non-GMO canola oil)
- Sea salt and organic black pepper to taste
- 2 large English cucumbers, julienned
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Mix soy sauce, water, orange juice/zest, brown sugar, garlic and ginger in a saucepan. Bring to boil and slowly simmer until reduced to syrup. Let cool completely.
- Add sesame seeds and salmon to sauce and marinate for 1 hour. Remove salmon from marinade and bring sauce to a boil. Using a hot broiler or grill, cook salmon for 3 to 5 minutes per side. Occasionally, brush the salmon with the teriyaki sauce.
- Plate grilled salmon on top of small pile of salad. Garnish with sesame seeds.
- Make cucumber salad: Combine wasabi and mirin to make a paste. Whisk in vinegar and sugar. Whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss cucumbers with enough vinaigrette to coat completely.
- Serve with salmon and salad. Enjoy!