Halibut Szechwan Style with Savoy Slaw
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 Vital Choice Alaskan halibut fillets (4 to 6 ounces each), thawed
- 3 tablespoons Vital Choice extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon each red chili flakes, sesame oil, and Szechwan seasoning mix
- Drop of chili oil
- Peanut oil, as desired
- Sea salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- 3 cups shredded Napa or Savoy cabbage
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, then sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced cashews or almonds
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Half of a red chili pepper, slivered (OR 1/2 cup red bell pepper slivers)
- Make dressing: whisk together oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, chili flakes, sesame oil, Szechwan seasoning and chili oil. Set aside.
- Rinse halibut under cold water; pat dry with paper towel. Heat a heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush both sides of halibut with peanut or other oil.
- Place halibut in heated skillet and cook, uncovered, about 3 to 4 minutes, until browned. Shake pan occasionally to keep fish from sticking.
- Turn halibut over and season with salt and pepper. Cover pan tightly and reduce heat to medium. Cook an additional 6 to 8 minutes for frozen halibut or 3 to 4 minutes for fresh/thawed fish. Cook just until fish is opaque throughout.
- In separate large bowl, mix cabbage, cucumber, carrot, cashews and cilantro. For each serving, portion about 2 cups salad on a plate.
- Top with a halibut fillet. Drizzle on some dressing and sprinkle with chili pepper slivers.