Blackened White Fish with Fennel and Orange Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes
- 6 portions Vital Choice wild mahi mahi, wild Alaskan cod or Alaskan halibut (6 ounces each), thawed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Vital Choice organic extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Blackened seasoning or Creole Seasoning, to taste
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium fennel bulb, sliced thinly crosswise
- 4 oranges, peeled and supremed
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped chives
- Small sprigs from 1 fresh dill branch
- Make lemon vinaigrette: Place rice wine vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, shallot, red pepper flakes, 1/4 cup olive oil and salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Whisk together until well mixed; set aside.
- Make the salad: Place the fennel, oranges, vinaigrette, cayenne pepper and sugar in a medium bowl. Toss gently, then season with salt and pepper.
- Season the fish with blackened seasoning to taste.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side until bronze in color and opaque throughout.
- Place a piece of fish on each plate. Top fish with one-sixth of the salad mixture. Garnish with chives and dill.