In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
Grilled Tuna Skewers with Salsa Verde
By Dutch chef Bart van Olphen, founder of Fish Tales. Courtesy of the Marine Stewardship Council. Photo credit: David Loftus.
Prep time 30 minutes; Cooking Time 10 minutes
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp capers (optional)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar or red balsamic vinegar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 4 stems mint, leaves only
- 4 stems basil, leaves only
- 6 stems parsley, leaves only
- Olive oil (organic extra-virgin)
- 11 oz of fresh tomato, cut into large pieces
- ½ red onion, in rings
- Handful of cress
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 12 oz albacore tuna (6 -10 loin medallions) or 12 oz ahi tuna cut into 1½-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil (organic extra-virgin) for frying
- If using wooden skewers, soak in a bowl of cold water first to prevent them from burning on the grill.
- In a food processor, blend the mustard with the capers, garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, mint, basil, parsley and 7 tablespoons olive oil until smooth. If the sauce is too thick, add more oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine the tomatoes with the red onion and the cress. Season with a splash of olive oil, sherry vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Thread the tuna onto the skewers and coat all over with oil. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Grill or broil the tuna skewers on both sides for 1-2 minutes, ideally leaving them pink except for the outer edges. Do NOT overcook!
- Serve the tuna skewers with the salsa verde and tomato salad.