This easy, deliciously mouthwatering meal is ideal for BBQs — or even for weekday dinners
This Seafood Nutrition Partnership recipe by Jenny Shea Rawn, MS, MPH, RD features succulent sea scallops, crisp broccoli florets and sweet pineapple chunks, brushed in a quick soy-ginger marinade, grilled to perfection and served with a soy-ginger peanut sauce.
It’s an easy, kid-friendly, deliciously mouthwatering meal that’s perfect for gatherings around the grill — or even for weekday dinners.
Sweet & Sour Scallop Kabobs
Prep time 10 minutes; Cook time 10 minutes; Total time 20 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- Metal skewers (or wooden skewers that have been soaked for 30 minutes)
- ½ fresh pineapple, cored and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 fresh broccoli heads, broken into bite-sized florets
- 1 lb. sea scallops, any tough side muscles removed
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. macadamia nut oil and/or toasted sesame oil*
- 1 tsp. fresh crushed ginger
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Brown, red, or purple rice (or other whole grain)
*We recommend using a 50/50 blend of macadamia nut oil and toasted sesame oil, for Asian-style flavor with a healthier fatty acid profile (fewer omega-6 fatty acids).
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Clean and oil grates.
- Add pineapple, broccoli and sea scallops to skewers, alternating. If you have more broccoli and pineapple than scallops, make a skewer or two without scallops.
- Make the marinade by combining rice vinegar, soy sauce, 2 tsp. honey, oil, ginger, and garlic powder in a bowl and mixing well.
- Set aside ¼ of the marinade in a separate bowl (you’ll use this for the peanut sauce).
- Brush marinade on both sides of scallop skewers.
- In a small bowl, heat peanut butter and honey for 15 seconds in the microwave. Stir to combine, then stir in the reserved unused marinade. Mix well.
- Place skewers on grill. Discard any remaining marinade.
- Flip skewers after 2-3 minutes and grill until scallops turn white or opaque and are slightly firm to the touch, about 6-8 minutes total. Remove from grill.
- Serve skewers with peanut dipping sauce, lime wedges and brown rice.