In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
Kitchri consists of rice, lentils, or both plus some peas, and the blend of ground, toasted spices called garam masala, and is generally served as a breakfast dish in Indian homes.
British colonials added smoked fish—usually haddock—plus chopped eggs and various garnishes. And today, kedgeree still serves as a common dinnertime dish in England.
Today's salmon kedgeree recipe was adapted from one in The Boston Globe that substitutes smoked salmon for white fish. (You could use our halibut or our oven-ready, lightly smoked sablefish instead.)
Recipe creator Robin Shepard made these helpful comments: “There should be just enough sauce to coat, but not drench, the aromatic rice so that it's evenly golden. Use curry powder and turmeric to make a quicker version, instead of garam masala, but heat the spices first, as this releases a deep flavor, color, and aroma.”
Smoked Salmon Kedgeree
3 cups water
Sea salt to taste
1 1/2 cups basmati rice
1 cup frozen peas
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 teaspoons mild curry powder, or to taste
1 teaspoon organic ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon organic ground cumin
Pinch of ground cloves
1/2 cup light cream
4 oz Alaskan smoked sockeye salmon, chunked into 1-inch strips
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the eggs. Let the water bubble steadily for 9 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a bowl of very cold water and let the tap run into it. Crack the shells and peel them. Dry and chop coarsely.
- Refill the saucepan with water. Add a generous pinch of salt. Bring it to a boil. Add the rice and cook it for 11 minutes or until it is tender but not quite cooked through. Drain into a colander and use the back of a spoon to poke holes in the rice for the excess water to drain.
- In a colander, rinse the peas with hot water for a minute until they defrost.
- In the saucepan, melt the butter. Cook the onion, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, turmeric, cumin, and cloves. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream, a little at a time, stirring constantly. Stir in the smoked salmon and eggs. Cook, stirring gently, for 1 minute. Stir in the rice and peas. Add all but 1 tablespoon of the parsley and stir again. Taste for seasoning and add more salt, if you like. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley.