Skagit River Ranch Pot Roast
This easy recipe comes to us from George and Eiko Vojkovich, who founded Skagit River Ranch and work it with the help of their daughter, Nicole.
Click here to learn more about their inspiring story and standards.
1 (2-3 lb) organic grass fed chuck roast
1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
½ Teaspoon black pepper
½ Teaspoon garlic powder
3 Tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 large tomatoes, cut into quarters
2 cups organic beef stock
1/3 cup organic red balsamic vinegar
2 bay leaves
½ cup dry white wine
1 ½ cups water (plus more if needed)
- Mix salt, pepper and garlic powder together. Sprinkle the seasoning mix on all sides of the roast.
- Heat a heavy skillet or small Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil. Sear roast on all sides until brown. Remove roast from pan and set aside.
- Turn down heat to medium, add onions cook until soft. Add tomatoes, beef stock, vinegar, bay leaves, wine, and water to pan. Return roast to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pan and cook for 2 ½ to 3 hours until tender.
- Remove roast to a plate and cover to keep warm. Turn the heat to high and reduce sauce by half.
- Strain sauce, add more salt if needed, serve over roast or on the side.