In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
A fiesta in bowl, Mexican Arroz con Camarones (Rice and Shrimp) from Beyond Mere Sustenance combines Mexican flavors — cilantro, cumin, and garlic — with shrimp, rice, black beans, and veggies.
Although non-traditional, using brown or black/purple rice would make this an even healthier dish.
Garnished with avocado, jalapeño, more cilantro, and lime wedges, it’s quick, healthy, and flavorful … a perfect one pot meal for any day of the week!
Shrimp or Prawns with Mexican Rice
Recipe developed by Tamara Andersen of Beyond Mere Sustenance.
Prep time 10 minutes; Cook time 20 minutes; Total time 30 minutes
- 1 pound large shrimp or prawns thawed, peeled, and de-veined
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 small onion cut in chunks
- 1/4 cup seafood, shrimp, or chicken broth/stock
- 1 1/2 cups seafood, shrimp, or chicken broth/stock
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup white (or brown or black) rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 medium avocado for garnish
- lime wedges for garnish
- additional cilantro and chopped scallions for garnish
- Peel and de-vein the shrimp unless it's already done for you.
- Twist bunch of cilantro at the base of the leaves. Discard any large stems. Rinse well. Add to a blender. Add the onion chunks and 1/4 cup broth/stock. Puree until smooth.
- Pour into a measuring pitcher. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides
- Add broth/stock to the 2 cup mark. Set aside.
- Chop the bell pepper, cut corn off the cob if using fresh, rinse and drain the black beans.
- Measure out the rice. Have the olive oil, garlic, and cumin ready to go.
- Add olive oil to a skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the rice, garlic, cumin, chopped bell pepper, and corn. Cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant. (Note: If you're using brown or black rice, pre-cook it until almost done before adding it to the skillet, or it will take too long to cook.)
- Add the prepared cilantro/onion/broth liquid to the pan along with the black beans and the salt. Cover. Reduce heat to a low simmer.
- After 10 minutes, add the shrimp. Stir. Replace cover. Cook another 10 minutes.
- Check a grain of rice. If it's not tender give it another minute or two. You can add a tablespoon of broth if it's dry. The shrimp should not be transparent. Just leaving the cover on the pan (with no heat) may be enough to finish them if they're not quite cooked.
- While the rice and shrimp cook, prepare any garnishes.
- Scoop into shallow bowls or plates, garnish, and enjoy!