In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
Salmon with Kale Crisps and Avocado Vinaigrette
This recipe, by Chef Todd Mitgang of Crave Fishbar, comes to us courtesy of the Seafood Nutrition Partnership.
Prep time 10 minutes; Cook time 10 minutes; Total time 20 minutes
- 2 bunches (approx. 10 oz) tuscan kale (a.k.a. dinosaur or lacinato kale), stems removed
- 1 1/4 cup organic extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to season kale and salmon
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt, plus extra to season kale and salmon, to taste
- 2 ripe but fairly firm avocados
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. honey or agave syrup (optional)
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- 1/2 serrano chili (optional)
- 4 sprigs cilantro, plus more for garnish if desired
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 4 6-oz (or 4-oz) salmon fillets
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roughly chop the stemmed kale into 2 inch pieces and mix lightly with extra virgin olive oil and salt, to taste.
- In a blender, combine flesh of one avocado, dijon mustard, agave or honey, shallot, garlic, chili, cilantro, lime, cider vinegar, and kosher salt. With the blender on high, add in olive oil until everything is combined.
- Cut the second avocado into small pieces and mix together with vinaigrette. Set aside.
- Season the salmon to taste with extra virgin olive oil and kosher salt.
- Place the salmon on baking sheet and spread kale around the salmon. Bake for 10 minutes.
- To serve, place the salmon on a plate with crispy kale. Spoon the vinaigrette on top or serve on the side, to taste. Garnish with toasted walnuts and additional cilantro.