In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
This easy recipe features a summery flavor, thanks to the rub mix’s citrus, cilantro, and basil.
Note: You can either use planks or cook the salmon straight on the grill grate.
Lacking a grill, you can either broil the salmon or roast it at 400°F (6 to 7 inches from heat source) for 10 to 15 minutes.
If you broil the salmon, it will cook much faster than if you use the covered grill cited in the basic recipe.
Plank-Grilled Salmon with Sunny Rub
Prep time 15 minutes; Cook time 15 minutes
Serves 4 to 6
- Organic extra-virgin olive oil or macadamia nut oil for the planks
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea or kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon organic lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 pounds wild Alaskan salmon fillets, skinless or skin-on*
- Cedar or Alder grilling planks**
*Use four 6 oz portions of sockeye, silver, king, or keta salmon, six 4 oz portions of sockeye or king salmon, or one 24 oz sockeye fillet side cut into 4 or 6 portions).
**Vital Choice planks measure 12x5.5 inches and each plank will accommodate two 6 oz or 4 oz portions
- Soak wood planks in water 30 minutes to 2 hours. Blend all ingredients except salmon.
- Pat wood plank with paper towels and spray-coat or lightly oil one side. Lay salmon on coated side of plank; spread 1 to 2 teaspoons rub mixture onto each salmon portion (not skin) or apply all the rub to a 24 oz sockeye fillet side. Let the salmon rest 5 minutes before cooking.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Grill salmon using indirect heat (not directly over heat) in covered grill for 10 to 15 minutes. Cook just until salmon is opaque throughout
Nutrients per serving: 198 calories, 8g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 36% calories from fat, 72mg cholesterol, 29g protein, 0.5g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 652mg sodium, 18mg calcium and 1,840mg omega-3 fatty acids