1 pound mixed field greens, washed
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, halved and sliced thin
1/2 red onion, sliced thin
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 cup cooked grains, chilled (e.g., Israeli couscous, kamut, wheat berries, quinoa)
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, minced
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1. Make balsamic dressing: Place water, balsamic vinegar, mustard, olive oil, 1 tablespoon basil, oregano, sea salt and sugar in a jar. Close lid and shake until well blended. Set aside.
2. Preheat grill on medium-high heat. Season salmon filets with salt and pepper. Place the filets on a well-oiled grill and reduce the heat to medium. After 1 1/2 minutes, turn the filets at a 45 degree angle to produce grill hatchmarks. After 1 1/2 minutes, turn the filets over and allow to cook for an additional 1 1/2 minutes. Check for doneness after 6 minutes total - do not overcook. Remove the filets from the grill and set aside to cool. Do not refrigerate.
3. Cook grains according to package directions and cool. While the salmon and grains are cooling, prepare the remaining ingredients.
4. Once all the ingredients have been prepared, place the greens in a large mixing bowl. Add the cucumber, onion, tomatoes, cooled grains, herbs, feta and toss to combine. Add 3/4 cup of dressing and toss again.
5. Divide the salad between four plates and place a chilled fillet on top of the salad, hatch-marked side up.
6. Serve with a fresh whole wheat baguette.