Makes 8 Servings
Serving Size: 1 Cup
This streamlined goulash skips the step of browning the beef, and instead coats it in a spice crust to give it a rich mahogany hue.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, (such as chuck), trimmed and cubed
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1½-2 tablespoons sweet or hot paprika, (or a mixture of the two), preferably Hungarian (see Ingredient Note)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Place beef in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Crush caraway seeds with the bottom of a saucepan. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in paprika, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the beef with the spice mixture and toss to coat well. Top with onion and bell pepper.
Combine tomatoes, broth, Worcestershire sauce and garlic in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer. Pour over the beef and vegetables. Place bay leaves on top. Cover and cook until the beef is very tender, 4 to 4½ hours on high or 7 to 7½ hours on low.
Discard the bay leaves; skim or blot any visible fat from the surface of the stew. Add the cornstarch mixture to the stew and cook on high, stirring 2 or 3 times, until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 4 months. | Prep ahead: Trim beef and coat with spice mixture. Prepare vegetables. Combine tomatoes, broth, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Refrigerate in separate covered containers for up to 1
Serving size: 1 cup
- Per serving: 168 calories; 5 g fat(2 g sat); 1 g fiber; 6 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 17 mcg folate; 67 mg cholesterol; 3 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1,333 IU vitamin A; 23 mg vitamin C; 29 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 338 mg sodium; 273 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (38% daily value), Vitamin A (27% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: ½