In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
12 wooden skewers
1 small bunch of green onions, trimmed and chopped coarsely (about 1‒1/2 cups)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
3/4 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio
3/4 cup fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
24‒30 sea scallops*
3 large leeks, washed and cut into large chunks OR 12
Cippolini onions**, skinned
12 medium to large button mushrooms
*Each 1 lb package of Vital Choice scallops contains approximately 25‒30 pieces.
**Cippolini (chip-ah-lee-nee) are round, flat Italian onions about one to two inches in diameter, available in the fall (also known as Borettana onions). You can substitute boiling onions or pearl onions.
- Prior to grilling or broiling, soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- In food processor or blender, pulse green onions, jalapeño, thyme, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, wine and ginger until mixture is almost smooth. Pour half of the mixture into a large re-sealable plastic bag. Add scallops; seal bag and turn several times to coat. Marinate, refrigerated, 15‒30 minutes. (Do not marinate longer, lest the acidic ingredients “cook” and toughen the scallops.) Cover and reserve remaining marinade.
- Preheat grill or broiler/oven to medium-high heat. Remove seafood from marinade; discard bag of marinade.
- Thread seafood and vegetables onto skewers. Place skewers onto a grill or broiling pan brushed with olive oil and cook, 5‒6 inches from heat, for 3‒4 minutes per side. Turn once during cooking. Cook just until scallops turn opaque throughout. (Overcooking will toughen the scallops).
- Drizzle reserved marinade over skewers just before serving.
Nutrients per serving: 375 calories, 29 g total fat, 4 g saturated fat, 69% calories from fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 12 g protein, 15.5 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 116 mg sodium, 51 mg calcium and .5 g omega-3 fatty acids.