In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
Today's recipe is from Sharing Plate… the inspiring food blog by cooking coach Monica Puri Bangia, who's based in northern New Jersey about 15 miles west of Manhattan.
She's an incredibly versatile chef who studied at the French Culinary Institute in New York City and shares recipes made with good, healthy-choice ingredients.
Chilean Sea Bass with Spice Rub, Corn Risotto, and Avocado Salad
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin, powdered
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ears of corn, off the cob
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth, warmed
- 1/3 half and half
- ½ cup queso fresco (or mild feta cheese), grated
- 1 large Hass avocado, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Juice of half a lime
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
Mix salad ingredients in a bowl, and set aside.
Fish and rub directions
- Mix the spices in a small bowl. Rub the fish filets all over with the spice rub. Marinate for 2 to 3 hours in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the fish filets on a lined cookie sheet. Drizzle oil and sprinkle salt on each of the filets. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes, depending on the size of the filets.
- Heat a wide frying pan with the olive oil. Add the cumin and sauté for a minute on medium heat.
- Add the shallot and garlic. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the corn and the rice. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes on medium low heat.
- Gradually add the broth one ladle at a time, stirring the rice in between. Add the liquid as it cooks out. The risotto should take about 20 minutes to cook.
- Add the half and half and cheese. Mix well and check for seasonings. Add salt.
- Serve with avocado salad on top and fish on the side.