In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
Nothing warms body and soul on a chilly winter day better than a piping hot bowl.
By adding salmon, this recipe gives the soup a healthful, hearty, base rich in omega-3s, vitamin D, colorful carotene-class antioxidants, and protein.
Last, but far from least, the combination of feta, tomatoes, and Mediterranean herbs and spices adds characteristic Greek flavors and added antioxidant power.
Salmon Soup with Arugula and Roasted Grape Tomatoes
2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes
3 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil, divided
Sea salt and organic black pepper
6 (6 oz) skinless wild salmon fillets (about 2.25 lbs total)
1 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tablespoon organic garlic granules)
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
10 oz baby arugula (about 10 cups), chopped
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon organic cayenne pepper or organic paprika
1 teaspoon dried organic oregano
1 teaspoon organic fennel seed
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
Heat oven to 425 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On the baking sheet, stir together tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of the oil and salt and black pepper to taste. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Season salmon with salt and black pepper to taste. Add to baking sheet with the tomatoes and roast until fillets are opaque and flake easily with a fork, and until tomatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat the remaining 2 Tbsp of oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add stock and bring to a simmer. Add arugula and simmer, stirring occasionally until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, the 1 teaspoon salt, cayenne and nutmeg. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Arrange the salmon in warm bowls. Top with soup. Garnish with roasted tomatoes, feta, and parsley.