This recipe features an Italian accent and a light (215 calories per serving), springlike character.
This easy, delightful recipe features an Italian accent and a light (only 215 calories per 6 oz serving), springlike character.
Feel free to substitute Alaskan halibut for the cod, and Greek yogurt, avocado, or hummus for the mayonnaise. If you use one of those mayonnaise substitutes for the topping, it's best to add the topping to the fish after the broiling step.
Alaskan Cod Parmesan with Zucchini “Noodles”
This recipe comes to us courtesy of the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.
Prep time 15 minutes; Cook time 20 minutes
- 2 medium zucchini (5 to 6 oz each), sliced thinly on mandolin or with a peeler
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon organic extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons mayonnaise*
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 Alaskan Cod or Halibut fillets (6 oz each)
- 2 Tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
*Or Greek yogurt, avocado, or hummus, in which case it's best to add the topping to the fish after the broiling step.
- In a nonstick or lightly greased skillet, sauté zucchini slices in butter and oil just until soft. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Keep warm.
- Heat oven to broil setting. Mix 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, basil, oregano and onion powder together. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Divide and spread topping onto the top of each fillet.
- Place fillets on foil-lined broiler pan. Broil 5 to 7 inches from broiler element for 3 minutes, or until top is browned and bubbly. Reduce heat to 300°F and continue to cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Cook just until fish is opaque throughout.
- To serve, place 1/4 of zucchini on each plate. Top with a cod fillet and garnish with 1/2 tablespoon shredded cheese.
Nutrients per serving: 215 calories; 11g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 45% calories from fat, 82.5mg cholesterol, 25g protein, 4g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 602mg sodium, 102mg calcium, 32 IU Vitamin D, and 560mg omega-3 fatty acids.