Wild Alaskan Cod
6 oz portions, skinless/boneless |
Harvested in icy, pristine Alaskan waters, our premium quality Pacific cod appeals to many tastes and works well in many culinary contexts. Each lean, low-calorie fillet portion is firm, fully moist and slightly sweet.
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- Skinless / boneless*
- Humanely harvested
- Sustainably harvested
- Product of the USA (Alaska's Bering Sea**)
*Note: Despite great care, our Alaskan cod may infrequently contain small, edible bones.
**Our cod comes from Alaska's Bering Sea, not from the Gulf of Alaska, whose cod fishery will be closed in 2020 due to stock declines possibly linked to localized ocean warming. The Bering Sea cod fishery remains healthy and sustainable, and the Gulf of Alaska fishery may reopen in 2021.
Our Alaskan cod is sustainably hook-and-line caught in icy, pristine Alaskan waters, and strict state oversight ensures that this fishery remains an abundant resource.
This truly exceptional cod is the best we've found, and features a flaky, tender texture — an advantage that stems from two unusual practices:
- Optimally humane methods proven by Washington State University to yield a flaky, tender texture.
- Our cod is frozen only once, to further guard against toughening. (Most wild Pacific cod is frozen twice.)
Our suppliers' unusual longline vessels are also specially designed to release any unwanted species ("bycatch") back into the sea with minimum harm.
Why is our cod so much better than most?
The innovative vessels that catch our Alaskan cod employee a unique “Moon Pool” technology allows the fishermen to harvest each fish individually from inside the vessel.
Each fish is stunned as it arrives on board, which immediately puts its central nervous system to sleep so it feels no stress or pain. This greatly reduces release of cortisol and adrenaline in the muscles, resulting in a better texture and higher levels of nutrients.
Finally, our supplier’s unique vessels are the only long-liners with filet machines and freezers on board, which keep the fish at its fresh-caught peak of quality, texture, taste, and flakiness.
The School of Food Sciences at Washington State University conducted a "blind" study whose results demonstrated that — versus traditional harvesting methods — our supplier's uniquely humane methods yields higher quality, flakier fish with higher levels of nutrients.
About Pacific Cod
Pacific cod is closely related to Atlantic Cod (Gadus morhua), with a similar, somewhat sweeter flavor and equally firm, flakey texture.
Pacific cod (Gadus macrocephalus) is also known as "gray cod" or "true cod", to differentiate it from "Ling cod" (Ophiodon elongatus) and "Black cod" (Anoplopoma fimbria; AKA Sablefish), which are not members of the cod family.
Average Ratings: 5Write a Review
Read more reviews >
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Vacuum-sealed fish held under these conditions should retain its quality for at least six to 12 months. Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw under refrigeration at or below 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius). Before thawing, puncture or remove packaging.
For quick-thawing, place frozen package in cool water for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, just until contents are flexible. Once thawed, immediately cook or refrigerate (if refrigerating, puncture package). Prior to cooking, do not allow fish to reach temperatures above 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius).
- Rinse fish quickly in cold, clean water.
- Cook in a medium-hot lightly oiled pan, under a broiler, or on the grill for 7-8 minutes, until only the very center is still translucent.
- Remove fish from heat and let it “self-cook” another two to three minutes, until just cooked through to center before serving.
- NOTE: It is perfectly safe and healthful to serve our fish raw or partly cooked, because flash-freezing has rendered it 100% sushi-safe.
- Enliven your fish entree with seasonings such as Vital Choice Organic Salmon Marinade Mix or other herb-spice blends.
- Add the seasonings of your choice to a little olive oil and marinate the fish, refrigerated, for 30-60 minutes or overnight. Or, simply mist fish lightly with olive oil or macadamia nut oil and dust with seasonings before cooking.
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $6.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $12.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
For more information, see our Shipping page.