Seared Salmon with Lemon, Feta, and Toasted Pistachios
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 4 Vital Choice wild salmon fillets (6 ounces each), thawed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons ghee (clarified butter) or Vital Choice organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Spread the pistachios on a small baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they smell toasty. When cool, coarsely chop the pistachios and set aside. (Tip: Place them in small zip lock bag and gently bash with a rolling pin until they are in pieces, but not pulverized.)
- Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons of oil or ghee to a skillet (non-stick or well-seasoned iron) over medium-high heat. When the oil or ghee is hot, add the salmon pieces to the skillet with the skinless sides down. Cook for 2 minutes without moving, or until a golden crust forms and the fish easily releases from the skillet when you peek with a spatula.
- Turn the fish over and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked through. A thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the salmon should register at 125ºF. The exact time will vary according to the thickness of the fillets. Transfer the salmon to a platter and let rest for 5 minutes, during which time the salmon will continue to cook.
- Transfer the fillets to 4 plates. If using ghee, immediately spoon 1/2 teaspoon on top of each fillet to melt. Use 4 of the lemon wedges to sprinkle each fillet with lemon juice. Sprinkle with the crumbled feta, pistachios and parsley and serve with remaining lemon wedges.