Ginger-Basted Alaska Scallop Skewers
Prep Time: 40 minutes | Cook Time: 8 minutes | Total Time: 1 hours
- 24‒30 Vital Choice sea scallops
- 3/4 cup organic Vital Choice extra virgin olive oil
- 12 wooden skewers
- 1 small bunch of green onions, trimmed and chopped coarsely (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio
- 3/4 cup fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium bell peppers, cored and cut in wedges
- 3 large leeks, washed and cut into large chunks OR 12 Cippolini onions, skinned
- 12 medium to large button mushrooms
- Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling or broiling.
- Pulse green onions, jalapeño, thyme, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, wine and ginger in a food processor until mixture is almost smooth. Pour half of the mixture into a large re-sealable plastic bag. Add scallops; seal bag and turn several times to coat. Marinate, refrigerated, 15‒30 minutes. Do not marinate longer, as the acidic ingredients may “cook” and toughen the scallops. Cover and reserve remaining marinade.
- Preheat grill or broiler/oven to medium-high heat. Remove seafood from marinade; discard bag of marinade.
- Thread seafood and vegetables onto skewers. Place skewers onto a grill or broiling pan brushed with olive oil and cook, 5‒6 inches from heat, for 3‒4 minutes per side. Turn once during cooking. Cook until scallops turn just opaque throughout. Overcooking will toughen the scallops.
- Drizzle reserved marinade over skewers just before serving.
- Recommended wine pairing: Pinot Grigio.