In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
The original version of this recipe calls for India's famed form of clarified butter, called ghee.
Using ghee will produce a nice browning effect, and distinctive flavor, but the recipe works very well with olive oil.
Either way, the combination of salmon, lemon, feta and toasted pistachios is truly wonderful.
Seared Salmon with Lemon, Feta, and Toasted Pistachios
Prep time 10 minutes; Cook time 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 4 (6-ounces each) wild salmon fillets
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons ghee (clarified butter) or organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spread the pistachios on a small baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they smell toasty. When cool, coarsely chop the pistachios and set aside. (Tip: Place them in small zip lock bag and gently bash with a rolling pin until they are in pieces, but not pulverized.)
- Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons of oil or ghee to a skillet (non-stick or well-seasoned iron) over medium-high heat. When the oil or ghee is hot, add the salmon pieces to the skillet with the skinless sides down. Cook for 2 minutes without moving, or until a golden crust forms and the fish easily releases from the skillet when you peek with a spatula. Turn the fish over and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked through. A thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the salmon should register at 125ºF. The exact time will vary according to the thickness of the fillets. Transfer the salmon to a platter and let rest for 5 minutes, during which time the salmon will continue to cook.
- Transfer the fillets to 4 plates. If using ghee, immediately spoon 1/2 teaspoon on top of each fillet to melt. Use 4 of the lemon wedges to sprinkle each fillet with lemon juice. Sprinkle with the crumbled feta, pistachios and parsley and serve with remaining lemon wedges.
Nutrients per serving: 933 calories, 52g total fat, 13g saturated fat, 468 calories from fat, 345mg cholesterol, 112g protein, 5g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 549mg sodium, 89mg calcium and 5,970mg omega-3 fatty acids.