In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
Mackerel or Sardines in Creole Sauce
This dish only needs some rice on the side to make a complete meal, but it's enhanced and complemented by a mixed green salad.
To make a great salad dressing, combine one part Vital Choice Organic Balsamic Vinegar with two parts Vital Choice Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and season the resulting blend with Vital Choice Organic Salmon Marinade mix.
- 1 (4‒3/8 oz) can Vital Choice Portuguese Sardines (ideally, our Sardines packed in Organic Tomato Sauce) or Vital Choice Atlantic Mackerel (oil- or water-packed_
- 1/2 bell pepper, julienne
- 1/2 onion, julienne
- 4 cloves garlic, mashed
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 organic bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoon organic ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon organic oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon organic cayenne pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 bunch minced cilantro or parsley
- In a medium to large pan heat olive oil, sauté bell pepper, garlic, and onion on medium high or medium until everything is fragrant and onion is translucent.
- Add tomato sauce, water, cumin, oregano, and bay leaf.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, add sardines or mackerel, and cook on low for 20 minutes.
- Serve with rice and salad or steamed okra or asparagus