In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
Grilling clams and mussels gives them a smokiness you can't get on your stove.
- Build a hot charcoal fire, mounding coals in the center of the grill, or heat a gas grill to high
- Scrub mussels and clams under running water to remove any grit.
- Put clams, wine, oil, sliced garlic, and chili flakes in a large disposable aluminum roasting pan and stir. Cover pan tightly with heavy-duty foil.
- Place pan on the grill and cover. Let cook undisturbed for 10 minutes, then use mitts to open foil and stir in mussels. Replace foil and continue cooking, with grill covered, 10 minutes more. By this time, most or all of the shellfish should be open.
- Use tongs to transfer opened shellfish to a serving bowl and return any unopened in the pan to continue cooking, covered, for another few minutes. Any that remain unopened should be discarded. Combine all shellfish and pan juices in the bowl.
- Toss shellfish with mint, almonds, chopped garlic and lemon zest. Drizzle with additional oil. Brush grilled bread slices with oil and serve alongside for soaking up juices.