In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
Created for the Seafood Nutrition Partnership by Chef Kelly Armetta of the Hyatt Regency, Boston
The black bean stew in this recipe is pretty quick and easy to make, and the hearty, delicious results are well worth the small amount of extra time and effort.
Cumin Scented Salmon, Cod, or Halibut with Black Bean Stew
Created for the Seafood Nutrition Partnership by Chef Kelly Armetta of the Hyatt Regency, Boston. Chef Armetta uses local and organic ingredients whenever possible, and won the Hyatt Regency Leader of the Year Award 2015 for his contributions to the SNP's Eating Heart Healthy Nutrition Program.
- 2 Tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp cumin, ground
- 1 Tbsp coriander seed, crushed
- 1 lb wild salmon, cod, or halibut filets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup onions, raw, white or yellow, chopped
- 2 Tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 green chili pepper (poblano, jalapeño, or Anaheim), chopped
- Chili flakes to taste
- One 14.5 oz. can tomatoes, chopped
- One 15.5 oz. can black beans, low sodium
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
Cook the salmon
- Heat 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a heavy skillet on medium heat.
- Mix together cumin and coriander seed, season fish with spices and salt and pepper. Save some spice mix.
- Add salmon to skillet and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes.
Make the black bean stew
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil (1 tablespoon) in another pan and add onions and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add peppers and chili flakes. Add saved spiced mix from Step 2. Cook until aroma starts to smell.
- Add tomatoes and allow tomatoes to start to sear. Add black beans and water. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cilantro, scallions and lime juice. Add salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
Serve the dish
Place black beans in individual bowls and add salmon portion on top. Serve and enjoy!