Sicilian Sardine and Broccoli Rabe Pasta
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 35 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes
- 3 cans Vital Choice Boneless-Skinless Sardines in organic olive oil, drained
- 1 medium bunch broccoli rabe (or broccoli florets)
- 2 tablespoons Vital Choice extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, crushed
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (preferably Meyer lemon)
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 to 16 ounces rigatoni pasta
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Boil broccoli rabe for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes; drain and breifly plunge into a bowl of ice water to maintain its vivid green color and stop the cooking.
- Place the raisins in a small bowl and cover with water or dry white wine. Let soak about 10 minutes to become infused with the flavor of the wine.
- Toast the pine nuts in a small, dry skillet over medium heat, stirring until they are golden and aromatic (about 1‒ to 2 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Drain the broccoli rabe, pat dry and add to the skillet.
- Meanwhile, drain the sardines. Break sardines into bite-size chunks and add to the skillet. Add the drained raisins, lemon juice, lemon zest, crushed red pepper and salt. Sauté 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions, until al dente. Add cooked pasta to the skillet with the broccoli rabe mixture, then stir in the toasted pine nuts and fresh parsley.
- Plate the pasta and serve warm, finishing it off with a drizzle of olive oil.