Pan-Seared Scallops with Lemon-Garlic Pasta
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes
- 16 to 24 large Vital Choice Alaskan or Atlantic sea scallops (1 to 1.5 pounds)
- 1 large lemon, grated for zest and freshly squeezed for 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced or pressed (about 2 to 3 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons Vital Choice organic extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 8 oz vermicelli or angel hair pasta (You may want to use whole-grain wheat pasta or pasta made with gluten-free ingredients)
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat. When the water boils, reduce heat to simmer until you’re ready to cook the pasta (step 5).
- While the water is heating up, use a grater to take off small peels of the skin of one lemon into a small saucepan. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the pan and remove pits. Use the back of a large spoon to press the inside of the lemon to extract more juice. Add the garlic and 1 tablespoon olive oil to the saucepan. Stir to blend well. Place on stovetop over low heat.
- Heat a large nonstick pan or grill pan on high heat until very hot. Sprinkle the scallops with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Toss to coat well.
- Place the scallops in the hot pan. Cook about 4 minutes on each side, or until scallops are well browned, firm and milky white to the center (to a minimum internal temperature of 145 °F).
- After turning the scallops to the second side, drop the pasta into the boiling water. Set temperature to medium and cook for 2 minutes or the shortest recommended time according to package directions.
- When the pasta is done, set aside ½ cup of the cooking water. Drain the pasta. Return drained pasta to the pot; toss with the warm olive oil mixture and the ½ cup reserved pasta water.
- Divide the pasta equally among four plates (about 1 cup per plate). Top each with four scallops.
- Garnish each dish with ½ tablespoon of shredded parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.