Beef Chili Carnavale
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 1 hours | Total Time: 2 hours
- 30 to 32 ounces Vital Choice ground organic, grass-fed beef
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces), undrained
- 1 can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies (14.5 ounces)
- 1 can regular or reduced-sodium beef broth (14 to 14.5 ounces)
- 1 bottle regular or light beer or stock (12 ounces)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium green, red, yellow or orange bell peppers, diced
- 1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro or dried oregano leaves
- 2 cans black beans (15 ounces each), drained and rinsed
- Lime wedges and baked tortillas chips (optional)
- Optional toppings: Sliced cherry tomatoes, sliced green onions, sliced serranos or jalapeños, chopped onion
- Heat stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings. Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for thoroughly thawed ground beef, which should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
- Add tomatoes, beef broth, beer, onions, bell peppers, tomato paste, chili powder, jalapeño pepper, garlic, cumin and cilantro (or oregano) to stockpot, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in black beans and continue to simmer 15 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Garnish with toppings, as desired. Serve with lime wedges and baked tortilla chips, if desired.