2 tablespoons butter
2 medium shallots, sliced
3 cups fresh or frozen peas, thawed
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 tablespoons half-and-half (or chicken broth or vegetable broth)
12 to 16 fresh mint leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF or preheat your grill and cover in place. If using the oven line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. If using frozen peas: place them in a colander, rinse with warm water and set aside to thaw.
3. Pat the salmon portions dry and place them on the parchment. Drizzle the salmon with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Roast the salmon in the oven (or barbecue on a covered grill) for 15 minutes, until it reaches your desired level of doneness.
5. While the salmon roasts, heat the butter over medium heat in a sauté pan. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
6. Add the fresh or thawed frozen peas to the shallots and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
7. Place the peas and shallots in the bowl of a food processor. Add lemon juice, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and half-and-half (or broth) and process until mostly smooth. Add mint leaves and pulse until mint is minced and combined. Season to taste with salt.
8. Remove salmon skin, if desired. Create a generous bed of minty pea purée on the plates, then top with salmon portions.