This zesty recipe comes from Pamela Salzman
, a cooking instructor in the Los Angeles area who focuses on whole, seasonal, and local organic foods.
As she says, “I call this a ‘Thai' salad because of the combination of sweet, sour and spicy, plus the cilantro and/or mint.
“If I were to rename it, I would call it Yummy, Fresh, Tangy, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Paleo-friendly, Perfect for Summer Salad.”
Note: To prep this dish in advance: Marinate the steak the night before. Keep the dressing refrigerated. Wash and cut all vegetables and keep refrigerated until ready to assemble.
½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
2 Tablespoons soy sauce (shoyu or gluten-free tamari)
6 Tablespoons packed fresh cilantro or mint leaves, chopped (or a combo)
1-2 small cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon chili flakes or ½ teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
1 Tablespoon raw honey
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Sea salt to taste
8 heaping cups salad greens, about 6-7 ounces
2 shallots, thinly sliced
A few handfuls of seasonal veggies, such as thinly sliced cucumber or sweet bell pepper, sprouts, julienned carrots
Fresh mint leaves
Fresh Thai basil leaves
- Combine lime juice, 6 Tablespoons oil, shoyu, cilantro, garlic, hot pepper, honey, and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Whisk together and set aside.
- If steak is thicker than 1 inch, place between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound on both sides. Remove wrap and place meat in a shallow nonreactive dish that is just small enough to hold the meat. Pour half the marinade (about 2/3 cup) over the meat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 12 hours (longer is better). Take the reserved marinade in the bowl and add 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Set this aside as your salad dressing.
- Pull the steak from the refrigerator about 30-60 minutes before cooking it. Preheat oven to 275 degrees or preheat a grill.
- Insert a wire rack inside a baking sheet and place the meat on top of the rack and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Bake for 20-30 minutes for medium to medium-well.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, over high heat.
- Transfer the steak to the skillet and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side for medium to medium-well. (Alternatively, grill over medium heat for about 10 minutes for medium doneness. Transfer meat to a carving board and allow to rest for 10 minutes, covered.)
- Assemble the salad greens on a platter and drizzle with half the dressing (about 1/3 cup), tossing to coat. Drizzle the vegetables with half the remaining dressing (about 2 ½ Tablespoons). Toss to coat and arrange on top of the salad. Taste for salt and add as needed.
- Slice meat thinly against the grain on a diagonal. Arrange slices of meat on top of the greens and drizzle with remaining dressing.