In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
People devour them by the dozen from street vendors, in restaurants, and during backyard cookouts.
Our premium Portuguese chub sardines are harvested at the seasonal peak of fat and flavor, and processed with care by a family that's been perfecting the craft for more than 100 years.
This recipe provides a quick and easy dinner with all the Mediterranean health benefits of sardines, tomatoes, garlic, parsley and extra virgin olive oil.
Spaghetti with Sardines
1/2 lb spaghetti or angel hair pasta
Organic extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
2 (4.375 oz) cans Portuguese Sardines in Organic EVOO or Organic Tomato Sauce
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
Red pepper flakes or organic cayenne pepper to taste
Sea salt and organic ground pepper to taste
Chopped parsley to taste
- Cook spaghetti or other pasta in salted boiling water according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving one cup of the water. Rinse pasta in cool water, toss it in a bit of oil, and set aside, covered.
- Meanwhile, sauté garlic in a generous amount of olive oil, and add cherry or grape tomatoes.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
- Add a small amount of the pasta cooking water and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Remove the whole sardine pieces from the can and drain out the olive oil (if using oil-packed sardines) or tomato sauce (if using sardines in tomato sauce), reserving it for the sauce. Chunk half of the sardines into the sauce and leave the rest for later.
- Toss the cooked pasta in the sauce. If more moisture is desired, add the reserved olive oil or tomato sauce from the sardine cans, or pasta water.
- Transfer to the serving dish, and top with chunks of the remaining sardines. Garnish with more red pepper flakes and parsley flakes.