We love this dish from Monica Puri Bangia’s wonderful culinary blog, Sharing Plate – Your Cooking Coach.
She’s an incredibly versatile chef who studied at the French Culinary Institute in New York City, who lives about 15 miles west of Manhattan, and creates simple, palate-pleasing dishes with superior, healthy ingredients.
Here's what she wrote about her delightful recipe:
“I am always looking for new recipes to make with shrimp. It is such a favorite in our house that I know whatever I make it will be a hit… well almost everything. I remembered a dish we have at a local Chinese restaurant.
“I decided to replicate it and went looking for black bean sauce. I actually wanted the dried black beans to make it from scratch but since I didn’t give myself ample time, I had to make do with the prepared black bean sauce.
“I got a bag of baby spinach to add to the dish—it is so much easier to have a dish with protein and a vegetable together."
"All I had to do was make some delicious brown rice. My secret to brown rice is to sauté it with a mixture of butter and olive oil and then cook it with chicken broth.
"As I predicted, the dish was a hit. Everyone loved it!”
Shrimp and Spinach Stir Fry with Black Bean Sauce
By Monica Puri Bangia
Serves 2 to 4.
1 pound Pacific spot prawns (or large shrimp), cleaned and deveined
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons sea salt
5 ounces baby spinach
2 medium white onions, sliced thin
1/4 cup black bean sauce
2 tablespoons garlic chili sauce
3 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- Place the shrimp in a bowl. Add the garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 teaspoons salt. Mix well and marinate for 2‒3 hours.
- In a fry pan (wok-type if possible), heat the 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add the sliced onions and sauté on high heat for 3‒4 minutes.
- Add the marinated shrimp and sauté for a minute.
- Add the black bean sauce and garlic chili sauce. Mix well and add the spinach. Sauté till the spinach wilts down.
- Taste for seasonings and add salt if necessary.
- Serve hot with brown rice.