In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
A delicious balance of luscious salmon with crisp greens and sweet orange
This light, visually lovely recipe provides a delicious balance of luscious salmon with crisp greens and sweet orange.
If you can’t find watercress, you can substitute arugula, spinach or upland cress, which is less delicate than watercress.
Salmon with Orange & Greens
Prep time 15 minutes; Cook time 15 minutes
- 4 wild salmon fillets (sockeye, silver, keta, or king; 4 to 6 oz each)
- 1/4 cup organic extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil, divided
- 2 bunches (about 3 cups) watercress, roughly chopped, or 3 cups arugula, spinach, or upland cress
- 3 Tablespoons cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented (membrane removed)
- 1-2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- Half an avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Pimenton (smoked paprika), for finishing
- 4 to 6 edible flowers, such as nasturtiums (optional)
- Rinse thawed salmon portions and pat dry with paper towel. Heat skillet over medium-high heat and brush both sides of fish using 3 tablespoons of avocado oil. Cook salmon, uncovered, about 4 minutes, until browned. Note: Sockeye salmon cooks quicker than other species, so reduce the cooking times provided here by about 1/4 if you use that species.
- Turn salmon over and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes, just until fish is opaque throughout.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine watercress (or arugula or upland cress), cucumber, and orange segments. Season with a few drops of white wine vinegar, remaining avocado oil, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Plate mixed salad greens next to salmon and top with avocado, walnuts and apple cider vinaigrette. Add nasturtiums and serve.
Nutrients per serving: 763 calories, 40g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 359 calories from fat, 202mg cholesterol, 91g protein, 13g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 328mg sodium, 120mg calcium and 4500mg omega-3 fatty acids