1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 large shallot, sliced
4 garlic cloves, sliced
2 packages frozen organic spinach (10 ounces each), thawed, squeezed dry
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add the bacon and cook, turning occasionally, until crisp, 6 to 7 minutes. Drain on a plate lined with paper towel; chop and set aside. (Note: For salmon bacon, cook frozen strips in a sauté pan, covered, over medium heat for 7 to 10 minutes, turning once. Or, cook thawed strips for 2 to 3 minutes, turning once.)
2. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from skillet, setting aside an additional 2 teaspoons for cooking the scallops. Heat the fat in the skillet over medium high; add the onion, shallot, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, 6 to 7minutes.
3. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until hot, about 2 minutes. Stir in bacon, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
4. Wipe out the skillet and heat the reserved 2 teaspoons bacon fat over medium-high. Note: If you use salmon or turkey bacon, you may need to add some olive oil to the bacon fat to reach 2 teaspoons.
5. Season scallops with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place scallops in skillet and cook, turning once, until nicely browned and just opaque in the center, 5 to 6 minutes.
6. Divide spinach among four plates and top with scallops.