Pan Roasted Cod with Roasted Winter Vegetables
This wonderful fall/winter recipe comes to us from Matt Wright, who, as he says, is “an English bloke” now living in the Pacific Northwest where he pursues his passion to cook, photograph, and write about simple, clean food.
Matt especially loves to prepare beautiful seafood dishes, and you can check them out, along with Matt's other delicious recipes, at his WrightFood blog.
This really is a fantastic dish – easy, and relatively quick. The veg took about 40 minutes to roast, and then the meal was done. Tasted great too, and was a decent way to get a healthy serving of lovely root vegetables.
So why pan roasting? Pan roasting is where to start something off, and then finish it in the oven. It is a simple technique for things that you want a good sear on the outside, but not too dry on the inside. You use this technique for thicker cuts of meat and fish.
3 medium carrots
1 large parsnip
4 small potatoes
5 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed and coarsely chopped
Tiny handful chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Salt and pepper
Place a large roasting pan in oven and preheat oven to 425 F.
- Season fish with salt on both sides. Peel the carrots and the parsnips, and cut into regular sized chunks. Go for some interesting shapes, not just cubes, but make sure they are all roughly the same size.
- Peel the turnip. Using a sharp knife or Japanese slicer, slice the turnip crosswise into thick slices.
- When the oven and pan are preheated, remove the pan from the oven, and pour in a tablespoon of olive oil. Toss in all the vegetables and the thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Gently toss to coat all the veg, and put back in the oven.
- About half way through their 40-minute cooking time (i.e., about 20 minutes), toss the vegetables gently in the pan, so that you get even browning.
- About 12 minutes or so before the veg are done, get a medium sized non-stick pan hot oven a medium-high heat. Add some olive oil, let that heat up (it will move around the pan much easier than when you first put it in), now put in the fish, flesh side down. Sear this in the pan for 5 minutes, or until you have a good golden sear.
- Turn the fish over in the pan, then put the pan in the oven (if you pan can go in the oven ... if not, transfer to an oven-proof pan). Roast until the fish is cooked through, about another 6 minutes. When the center of the fish is opaque, and flakes easily with a gently nudge, it is done. Take out the veg and fish from the oven.
- Toss the parsley into the veg, and combine. To serve, pile some vegetables onto each plate, and top with the cod.