In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
Adapted from SimplyRecipes.com; Photo credit: Elise Bauer.
Prep time 5 minutes; Cook time 35 minutes
Add whole or fork-mashed cloves to sauces and recipes as desired. You can also spread mashed cloves over warm bread, mix with sour cream as a topping, smear lightly over cooked poultry, fish, or meat, or stir into cooked pasta.
- One or more whole heads of garlic
- Organic extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400°F (205° C).
- Peel off the papery outer layers of whole garlic bulb(s), leaving the thicker skin of each clove intact.
- Cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the top of the garlic bulb, exposing the individual cloves.
- Place the garlic heads on a baking pan or in muffin tin cups, cut side up.
- Drizzle and rub two teaspoons olive oil over each exposed head and its cloves.
- Cover the bulb(s) with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until cloves are lightly browned and feel soft.
- Allow the garlic to cool to the touch, and refrigerate until ready to use. Or, for immediate use, cut the skin slightly around each clove, then use a cocktail fork or fingers to ease or squeeze roasted cloves out of their skins.