Juice and zest from 1/2 orange
1 teaspoon orange juice concentrate
1/3 cup raw organic sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
Green onions for garnish
1. Run the scallops under cool water and pat dry with a paper towel. Season with a little sea salt.
2. Zest the orange and then finely chop the zest. Squeeze the juice and remove the seeds.
3. Combine the zest, concentrate and fresh juice with soy sauce and rice vinegar. Set aside.
4. In a small, heavy-based pot, stir the water and sugar together. Bring to a boil and continue to cook until the sugar caramelizes. You will have to gradually turn the heat down as you cook. This process will take about 15 minutes.
5. Every 3 minutes or so, dip a pastry brush in cool water and brush the insides of the pot. This helps to stop the sugar from hardening up the sides.
6. Cook the mixture until just before burning point. You will see a little smoke. Remove pot from heat immediately. Place a sieve over the pot and pour the red wine into the caramel. Let it cool and add the zest, concentrate, fresh juice, soy sauce and vinegar. Stir to combine and then set aside.
7. Heat the oil in a fry-pan over a medium-high heat until the oil starts to swirl and smoke very slightly. The pan has to be really hot to sear the scallops.
8. Add the scallops and fry for 40 seconds on each side just once. Don't turn them multiple times.
9. Place the scallops on a serving plate and then spoon on the orange soy sauce. Garnish with thin slivers of green onion.