In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
This elegant, Mediterranean-style recipe is actually pretty easy to prepare, and balances the richness of sablefish with the mild saltiness of broth and the crunch of fresh vegetables.
Olive Oil Poached Alaskan Sablefish (Black Cod) with Fresh Herbs and Broth
Recipe courtesy of the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.
Prep time 10 minutes; Cook time 30 minutes.
- 1 Tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about one cup)
- 1 medium red pepper, diced (about one cup)
- 2 stalks celery, finley diced (about one cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped (about one Tablespoon)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves*
- 4 cups organic chicken, fish, or vegetable broth
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups organic extra virgin olive oil (enough to cover fish fillets)
- 4 (4 oz each) Alaskan sablefish (“black cod”) portions, thawed
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Additional fresh herbs, for garnish
*Substitute parsley, basil, or rosemary for thyme, if desired.
In a stockpot, sauté onion, red pepper and celery in 1 tablespoon olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and continue cooking 5 minutes. Stir in wine and thyme. Add broth and cook 5 to 10 minutes, just until broth begins to reduce. Turn off heat, cover and keep warm.
While vegetables are cooking, in a shallow high-sided, heavy pan or stockpot, heat 2-1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil over low heat until oil appears wavy.
Season sablefish fillets with salt and pepper. Add fillets to oil, making sure the fillets are covered, adding additional oil, if needed. Turn up heat to medium; poach 10 to 12 minutes, cooking just until fillets are fully opaque throughout.
To serve, remove fillets with slotted spoon and place each fillet in a shallow soup or pasta bowl. Divide herbed broth over fillets; garnish with fresh herbs.
Nutrients per serving:
450 calories, 36g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 71% calories from fat, 81mg cholesterol, 21g protein, 5g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 196mg sodium, 54mg calcium, and 2,150mg omega-3 fatty acids.