In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
Blackberries rank even higher than blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries on the antioxidant-capacity scale.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, then add water, eggs, and oil and whisk until smooth. Let stand 5 minutes for the batter to thicken; thin with small amounts of water if batters becomes too thick to pour. If you use liquid buttermilk, omit the powdered buttermilk, add the water last, and only add as much water as is needed (if any) to achieve a thick consistency but one that can still be poured.
- Heat slightly oiled pan over moderately high heat until hot, but not smoking. Reduce heat to moderate. Pour 4 ladles of batter (4 pancakes) onto hot griddle to form 3 1/2"‒4" rounds.
- Cook until bubbles appear on surface and pop, edges are set, and undersides are golden, 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Flip pancakes and cook until undersides are golden and pancakes are cooked through, 45 seconds to 1 minute more. (Lower heat if pancakes brown too much before insides are cooked through.)
- Serve with warm syrup and the 1/2 cup of reserved berries to top the pancakes.
- Cook 2 cups of thawed blackberries (reserve ½ cup), sugar, and zest over medium heat (adding a small amount of water if needed) for about 10 minutes until the whole berries have collapsed.
- Blend the mixture briefly in a food processor, add orange liqueur, and blend briefly to a near-puree.
- Cook over low heat until thickened to desired consistency. Let cool until just warm before serving over pancakes.