In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
With a profusion of seasonal coffee drinks just a drive-thru away, a homemade beverage is truly a special treat. Concocted to celebrate the richness of our organic 80%-cacao chocolate, this recipe contains minimal sweeteners, maximal complexity, and spices that will warm your weary soul. Enjoy it in place of afternoon coffee, or serve it in a wineglass for dessert, spiked with your favorite cold-weather spirits. For a non-dairy option, you can substitute full-fat coconut milk for whole milk and coconut cream for whipping cream.
Yields 2–3 servings
- Two 2-ounce bars Vital Choice Organic Extra-Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup whipping cream, chilled
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- navel orange for zesting
- Make the whipped cream: In a medium bowl, combine the whipping cream, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk to soft peaks and set aside.
- Make the hot chocolate: In a small heavy pot, combine milk, cream, honey, vanilla, and spices. Heat on medium-low, stirring constantly until small bubbles form along the edges and the mixture is steamy and fragrant (160 F). Do not boil. Remove from heat and whisk in the chocolate until smooth.
- Serve: Pour the hot chocolate into 2–3 mugs. Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream and a fresh grating of orange zest.