Memorial Day is the time for parades, respectful reflection, and savory, smoky celebrations.
On May 30, those of us who live north of the Sunbelt will mark the official kick-off of a summer-long barbecue bonanza. To celebrate liberation from stuffy kitchens, and in anticipation of dozens of grilled dinners to come, we bring you this recipe for your holiday feast.
Grilled Halibut and Red Pepper Skewers with Chili-Lime Sauce
Adapted from Bon Appétit, July 2001
Makes 6 servings, but recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to serve a Memorial Day crowd.
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1½ teaspoons minced chilies (serrano or jalapeño) with seeds
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch triangles (about 30 pieces)
6 green onions, cut into 1 inch lengths (about 30 pieces)
- Whisk fresh lime juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons sugar, chopped fresh cilantro, and minced serrano chilies in small bowl until sugar fully dissolves. Let sauce stand 1 hour at room temperature to allow flavors to blend together. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. (Chili-lime sauce can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring sauce to room temperature before using.)
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Alternate halibut pieces, bell pepper pieces and onion pieces on six 10- to 12-inch metal skewers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle kebabs with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Grill until fish is opaque in center and singed in places, turning kebabs occasionally, about 6 minutes. Transfer kebabs to platter.
- Serve kebabs, passing chili-lime sauce separately.
Check out these customer favorites