Grilled/Broiled Tarragon Salmon Kebabs with Sour Cream Sauce
Adapted from Barbeque: Sizzling Fireside Know-How by Leslie Bloom (The American Cooking Guild, 1987)
Allow 2 skewers per person. Serve with lemon-infused rice or rice pilaf.
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons minced tarragon leaves or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons minced tarragon leaves or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 small zucchini, cut into 1/8 -inch slices
16 medium white mushrooms, stemmed
- If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, yogurt, salt and pepper to taste, vinegar and tarragon. Cover and refrigerate while preparing the kebabs.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, lemon juice and tarragon. Set aside.
- Alternate the salmon cubes, red bell pepper, zucchini and mushrooms on the skewers and place the filled skewers on a rimmed baking sheet or in a shallow baking dish. Stir the olive oil marinade and brush it on the kebabs. Just before grilling, sprinkle kebabs with salt and pepper to taste. (You may want to place the salmon and vegetables on separate skewers, to allow the vegetable skewers all the cooking time they need without overcooking the salmon.)
- Prepare the grill or broiler. If using a gas grill, set at medium for indirect cooking. If using a charcoal grill, start the charcoal. Distribute the heated charcoal evenly under the cooking area.
- Oil the grate and grill (or broil) kebabs over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, turning every 2 minutes and brushing kebabs with leftover marinade from baking sheet, if desired. Do not overcook or the salmon will dry out. Remove kebabs from grill and let them stand, loosely covered, for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve the sour cream sauce in a separate bowl and spoon over the kebabs.
Check out these customer favorites