In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
Today’s recipe is from Sharing Plate … the inspiring food blog by cooking coach Monica Puri Bangia, who’s based in northern New Jersey about 15 miles west of Manhattan.
Here's how Monica describes today's recipe:
"This is a great stew to make through the week since it doesn’t take very long."
"It is also good to incorporate fish into your diet and this is a great way to eat delicious fish in a delicious stew!"
"You could serve it with any rice, preferably brown or black. I served it with some black (AKA "forbidden") rice ... you'll find the recipe below."
Fish Stew with Coconut Milk
1 to 1½ pounds of Alaskan cod (three to four 6-oz portions) or Alaskan halibut (three to four 6-oz portions, four to six 4-oz petite portions, or two 12-oz portions)
3 garlic cloves, minced
Juice of half a lemon
Marinate fish with the garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Keep aside for about half an hour.
3 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onions, chopped
4 green onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
½ cup cilantro, chopped
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- Add the oil to a large saucepan. Add the onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the green onion and red pepper and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and smoked paprika. Sauté for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the cilantro and coconut milk. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the fish fillets and simmer until cooked through, making sure not to overcook the fish.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with rice.
Black Rice with Onion and Garlic
I love black rice.. it is also known as forbidden rice. It is nutty and the color is beautiful plus it is super healthy. Try it!
2 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup black rice, rinsed
2 cups chicken broth
2 teaspoons salt
½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat a medium saucepan with the oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté on medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the black rice and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add the broth and salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer on low partially covered for 20 minutes. Turn heat lower and cover and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.