In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
- 7 cups fish stock or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 2 small celery heart, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste 1¼ cups white wine
- 2¼ cups Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat
- Small handful tiny sprigs fresh dill or chervil, or snipped chives
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup crème fraiche (optional)
- 2 ounces salmon caviar
- Bring the stock to a simmer in a saucepan. Partially cover and keep hot.
- Warm the butter and oil in a large, heavy- bottomed pot. Add the shallots and celery (if using) & sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and simmer, uncovered, until it has completely evaporated.
- Add the rice, 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and stir for 2 to 3 minutes, until the kernels begin to turn opaque.
- Add enough hot stock just to cover the rice in batches, stirring and scraping down the sides of the pan until the risotto is loose and creamy, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the crabmeat, breaking it up, then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the dill and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top each serving with a dollop of crème fraiche and a spoonful of salmon caviar.