In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
COZY SEAFOOD CURRY
Easy to prepare with your favorite fish or seafood, this elegant and versatile stew makes a fabulous feast for the senses. For a comforting weeknight meal, keep it simple with salmon or halibut. Or dress it up for a special occasion with wild calamari, artisan shrimp, and sea scallops. Make-ahead tip: prepare the stew without the seafood and refrigerate for up to 3 days, then add the seafood before serving.
- 2 pounds Vital Choice frozen seafood, thawed
- 24 oz Vital Choice Wild Fish Broth, thawed
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 12 ounces crimini or shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, more to taste
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 2 cups coconut milk, unsweetened, full fat
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
In a heavy, medium-large pot with a lid, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and sea salt, and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender and their liquid has evaporated, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger, spices, and tomato puree. Cook for another minute, stirring constantly. Stir in fish broth and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes while you prep the seafood. If preparing this dish ahead, at this point you can refrigerate it for up to 3 days, then add the seafood as follows before serving.
Cut fish into bitesize chunks and remove skin, if desired. If using calamari, slice tubes crosswise into ½-inch rings and leave tentacles as is. Shrimp and scallops can be left whole. Just before serving, stir in seafood and simmer gently for 3 minutes. Ladle into bowls, top with cilantro, and serve.